Weight Loss Ticker

BEFORE

BEFORE
This is me

Thursday, May 13, 2010

First Dr. Visit

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while.  Really nothing new happening.  Yesterday, May 12, was my first Dr. visit after surgery.  It went very well.  Dr. Kim was very happy with the way I have healed, and was even more happy that I am following his rules perfectly.  I am getting in all my fluids and proteins and exercising every day.  I am also taking all my vitamins and supplements every day. 
Here is a photo of how my insides have been re-routed:
 gastricpic.jpg

I am very excited that I have lost 11 lbs since surgery.  So that bring me to a total of 30 lbs so far.  My sugars are totally under control, and my blood pressure is completely within the normal ranges.  Anybody need some Janumet or Lisinopril?  I have not had any complications from the surgery at all!  I am feeling great.  I am going to be needing some new clothes soon, some of my pants are starting to hang off my ass, like some of the teenagers are wearing these days.  At least I am in fashion!  AND I was actually able to cross my leg (right over left) today.  What a feeling that was!!!  I think is has been at least 10 years since I've been able to do that!

I went to Dr. Kim with a list of questions:

  • Can I start Swimming again?  YES
  • Can I ride my Motorcycle?  YES
  • Do I have to use that stinky antibacterial soap anymore?  NO
  • Can I have coffee?  NO well maybe a decaf every now and then
  • Strength Weight Training?  Not for another week
The nurse went over my vitamins and supplements with me.  I can now switch to chewable vitamins (Thank God!)  The liquid is so disgusting!  I have to start taking Iron, calcium citrate, CoQ10, Fish Oil, Pepcid, and the other 2 prescriptions I am on, OH can't forget about the potassium.  The horse pill that needs to be crushed and added to applesauce.  Talk about disgusting!  The potassium tastes like salt, so I am having salted applesauce in the morning!  YUCK!  I also need to have vitamin B-12 which I had opted to give myself an injection once a month.  


I am allowed to start soft foods. So this was my lunch for yesterday.
Shredded Boars Head Ham 1 1/2 oz, and 1 oz of Cantaloupe, and an 8 oz glass of Skim Milk, that I must finish before I start eating and cannot drink for an hour after I finish eating or I may have an episode of Dumping Syndrome     Definition: Dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying, is a combination of symptoms that occur when an overly large meal, or a meal high in fat or sugar is consumed by a weight loss surgery patient. The meal is "dumped" into the small intestine when the stomach empties quickly, causing feelings of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach gas, racing heart, cramps and cold sweats.  Most episodes of dumping syndrome can be prevented by avoiding eating overly large meals and sugary foods. Prevention is important as the symptoms are not only very uncomfortable, but they also are very similar to the symptoms of a heart attack.

For dinner last night I made Shrimp Scampi and Brown Rice with vegetables.  Now, I could only eat 4 shrimp, but I was in heaven!  YUMMO!  And everyone else enjoyed it too.  Today's lunch was the same as yesterday, but I added some shredded cheddar cheese.  And tonight we are going to have burgers on the grill with cheese and bacon added to the meat before grilling.  I will make french fries, the left over rice and a veggie for the rest of the troops, I will eat 1/2 a burger and maybe some veggies if I can fit it.

I am adding a few more things to my "Tools" page if you want to take a look.  That is all I have for today.  We are going to see Iron Man 2 tonight.  No popcorn for me!  Talk to you all soon!

Love, 
Stephanie     



1 comment:

  1. way to go Steph!! so proud of you. I am not losing as fast but I am right behind you. Just think of all the clothes shopping we will be doing, it will be like old times!

    ReplyDelete